Saturday, April 02, 2005

Sola Scriptura!

It must have been an awestruck feeling to have been struck by lightning and waking up with the enlightenment that it is "In Scriptures alone!".

“It seemed to me as if I had been born again and as if I had entered paradise through newly opened doors. All at once the Bible began to speak in quite a different way to me…. The very phrase “the righteousness of God,’ which I had hated before, was the one that now I loved the best of all. That is how that passage of Paul’s became for me the gateway to paradise.”- Martin Luther.

If God were to strike me with lightning only to resurrect me with the feeling of being born again for the love of Scriptures, I would put in the words of a friend in context- "let me die, let me die!" (and to be born again, born again!)

A series of lectures on Christology by Dr Ng Kam Weng, which started this afternoon opened my eyes to a more detail study of Scriptures. What is most interesting is how the authenticity of the Scriptures, namely the Gospel can be defended even in its own historicity of its penmanship.

The details are just overwhelming. I am still trying to grasp the ethereal essence of studying the Scriptures in this manner. Nevertheless, it was an afternoon of both being shaken and woken up. For instance, how the act of copy-and paste of certain parts from the Gospel according to Mark can be reconciled to the divine inspiration that was bestowed upon Matthew to write the Gospel as well. Perhaps, our perspective of divine inspiration in the writing of the Word of God has been somewhat a stereotyped one before this.

Dr Ng Kam Weng said nonchalantly," Eternal truth should be invulnerable to the changing flux of history." Hence, we ought to have courage to put the Scriptures to grippling tests.

And be assured to grapple the fruits of the grippling tests as well.


The 95 theses

Perhaps, in a similar way how Martin Luther have when he nailed the 95 theses to the door of Wittenberg Church.

'Disclaimer' for this entry- Was attempting to write about Catholicsm, amid a finite-viewed one in light of the the grim condition in the Vatican City, but my fingers ran away with the words "Sola Scriptura".

Perhaps it was just meant to be, meant to be.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Hedonese said...

You've survived the worst in a better than I did! When Kar Yong taught me abt form/redaction criticism, I was positively 'terrified' until I read Carson, Moo and Morris' "Introduction to NT"... how even Luke recognised other written sources, witnesses and his own tasking of writing an 'orderly account' heheh... It's biblical!

Steven will pass u something for gracing agora with your presence

10:11 PM  
Blogger tehtarik said...

Hedonese,
Believe me when I say it is terrifying beyond words hence; justifying our silence throughout the lecture. Thank you for that SOMETHING. It means diamonds!

11:52 AM  
Blogger fooji said...

Dear Bohtea,

In scripture alone. My church is one that fully commits to following the scripture alone, much like the Brethren.
The principles of it is flawless.
However, the practice of the principles may be flawed by human interpretation and selfish, and egoistic, self-righteous dogmatism.

Sometimes, the history of the bible confuse me more than convince me. Maybe I should study with you guys sometime.

6:07 PM  
Blogger tehtarik said...

Fooji,
It would be great pleasure to have you join us in bible study. Hey, Bible Study is COOL!

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr Ng Kam Weng said nonchalantly," Eternal truth should be invulnerable to the changing flux of history."

Stephen Tong s.a.w said once that "Truth will not erode by time. Scientific discoveries must not be taken as timeless"...something like that lah.

:D

5:47 PM  
Blogger The Hedonese said...

Fooji raised two important issues -

1) the history of bible - which is wat we did last Saturday at Kairos, God inspired the (inerrant) Scriptures through an earthy process... the writers write in their own context, for contemporary audience, borrowing materials etc. Recognising this in our understanding of inspiration is crucial else we'd be terrified! :)

2) nowadays, the debate has shifted from form criticism etc to 'hermeneutics'... the art of bible interpretation. What use is an inerrant text if there's no hope of reaching a consensus on its meaning? Esp. when there are 'so many views'! hehe...

I've no problem with self-righteous, ulterior-motivated interpreters 'reading into the text' a meaning tat is not there. We all do that! And it can be detected rather easily...

The bigger problem is well-meaning, humble, godly and selfless scholars also differ on the very approach we should use in interpreting!

No short cut... I'd suggest
Fee's "reading the bible for all its worth" as primer, osborne's "hermeneutical spiral" or vanhoozer's "Is there a meaning in the text?" for more 'advanced' materials.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous memopad said...

O’ praise the Holy Ghost, our Advocate,
Verily God, Comforter of our pains
Hear Him today as He bade
“Ye must be born again! Born again!” (A Doxology to God's Salvific Grace)

Just want to let you know that the "a friend" also has one with "be born again, born again!" line. :D

12:19 PM  
Blogger tehtarik said...

Thanks, Hedonese for the hermeneutical references. Leon was just telling me how John Piper excels in hermeneutics too- I am taking his word for it as well.:)

10:52 AM  
Blogger The Hedonese said...

who am I to disagree? heheh..

Piper has a 'classic' called The Justification of God, which has lotsa Greek in it, interpreting a passage Romans 9

But it led him to leave the seminary for the pastoral ministry :)

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home